Are you thinking about selling your home? Spring seems to be the time that we start to see more listings on the market (in Victoria at least) and so there is lots of competition out there. You don’t need to do an expensive renovation to update your home and you may or may not get your money back if you do. I have seen some “recently renovated or updated” homes that I think if I bought that home I would just have to go in and redo it all myself so I usually tell clients to freshen things up and save their money.
Here are 5 easy things you can do to make your home more appealing to potential buyers.
1. De-clutter – this is probably the most important. Unless you have a professional come in and style your home think less is best. Take down personal photos, not all but most. You want the buyers to be able to see themselves living there not another family. A few books and some flowers on the coffee table and some pretty items on the bookshelves and that all you need.
2. Paint – It is amazing how a simple coat of paint on the walls and trim can freshen up any room. Keep colours neutral and light. Check out my post on the Top 4 Colours to Paint a Rental or Sell Your Home
3. Spring Clean like there is no tomorrow – A clean home will be more attractive to buyers and help eliminate any odors. It shows you have pride in your home and you take care of it. If you have pets make sure their bedding is washed and the littler boxes are cleaned out daily. Don’t forget the fridge and stove 🙂
5. Organize closets and drawers. Buyers will look in closets and in drawers as well as kitchen and bathroom cabinets. So a well organized space will actually make it look roomier. Here are some great tips on getting your closets organized. (click here)
6. Curb appeal – your front yard and entry way is the first impression to potential buyers. Tidy it up and add some potted flowers at the door. Paint your door if it needs to be freshened up and replace outside lights if they need it. Some buyers will drive by a listing to see what the house looks like and what the area is like. It can also grab the attention of potential buyers just driving down the street.
Here is a great article on 20 Ways to Add Curb Appeal from Better Homes and Gardens.
And don’t forget fresh flowers which will brighten up any room and smell beautiful and fresh.
Once you complete these 5 tips your home should look amazing!
If you would like some help making your home a place you love, contact me to book an In-Home or Online Consultation.
If you enjoyed this post and want to learn more, consider signing up for FREE email updates!