A new year brings out lots of information on what is hot and what’s on it’s way out in the design world. There are a ton of trends new and still hanging on so I thought I would narrow it down and share a few that I love and plan on using in 2017. I don’t usually jump on the trend bandwagon but these trends I feel will be around for quite awhile.
1. Greenery – Pantone (leading color experts) chose greenery as their colour of the year so we will be seeing lots of furniture and fabrics as well as accessories in this beautiful green colour but watch for more actual greenery in home decor. Lush plants and succulents add a lovely natural element to any decor. I don’t suggest going out and buying green furniture but if you want to bring green into your decor do so by adding pops of green with plants and throw pillows. My obsession plant right now is the Fiddle Leaf Fig and I even bought one into my home as I love the big rich green leaves and how they take up a big space and make a statement. Keeping them alive is a whole other story and blog post but wow, do they ever look beautiful.
2. Warm Wood Tones – Rustic gray wood has been all the rage but I love the basic warm wood tones for flooring, furniture or accessories. Warm wood tones are the perfect addition to warm up an all white kitchen or cool colour palette.
3. Black windows – Now I have been obsessing over black windows for about 6 months now and they have been around for years and some say they are a trend but I actually look at them more like a classic. They aren’t for everyone but one thing I can say that in the right space they look amazing! I just can’t get enough of them.
How gorgeous is this laundry room! I could hang out there all day 🙂
Love! Love! Love!!! this beautiful kitchen with the black windows and accents. Wow!
4. Mixing metals – this trend has also been around for awhile. I don’t think it’s going to go anywhere any time soon because mixing finishes adds depth and texture to a room and makes it more interesting. I still get clients that want everything to “match” and I steer them away and show them how it doesn’t have to match but with the right pieces they should all blend together.
5. Mixing patterns – this has always been something that most shy away from because it can end up looking like a crazy mess. There are a few rules to follow when mixing patters but the easiest way is to make sure the same colour is in each fabric or stick with one colour and mix the patterns. Another way to add depth and texture to a room. Sarah Richardson does this really well and has the most gorgeous fabric collection available on her site http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com. Here are some beautiful pics from her cottage. Love the blue mixed fabrics.
Caitlin Wilson also has some stunning fabrics and pillows that make it easy to mix and match. Check out the website HERE
6. Marble wallpaper – Ok this is my favourite trend right now! I love wallpaper and I love marble so this is right up my alley 🙂 I can’t wait to use this in a design. With marble being a classic this trend will be around for awhile.
It’s just so pretty and it is an easy way to add that “glam” factor without the cost of real marble.
What are your favourite design trends for 2017?
If you would like some help making your home a place you love, contact me to book an In-Home or Online Consultation.
If you enjoyed this post and want to learn more, consider signing up for FREE email updates!